Saturday, August 9, 2008

Burkina Electricity

I thought I am going to be smiling a little bit, because like Sierra Leone, I found a country that is self-sufficient in electricity. Boy, am I wrong.
The numbers are very hard to come up with after 2005. I have scratched and poked and looked under every rock or shall I say every generator I could look under, or look into, and still I found nothing to report for 2006, 2007 or 2008; but what I was able to come up with is nothing to write home about.
I know there should be something out there, because the hydro plant in Burkina has been running for at least two (2) years, but for some reason, the folks in Ouagadougou are keeping everything close to their chest.
For what it is worth, here are the numbers for Burkina 2005. Electricity production was 516 Megawatts, and the consumption was only 480 MW . On the surface, one will think that gives an excess of 36 Megawatts (an excess of 7%); which is very good, because the 36 excess is about 65% of the total amount produced in Bissau.
But wait a minute, there is a catch. Less than 20% of the total population of Burkina is being served with electricity, and this is mostly around Ouagadougou, Bobo-Dioulasso, Banfora, Bokin, and a few towns. This is one country where more than 60% of the population lives on less that 15% of the total landmass of Burkina Faso.
No electricity, implies no irrigation, farming is brute force. Mechanize farming is beyond the reach of most farmers.
From Maurice Yameogo to Thomas Sankara to Blaise Compaoré; folks I have seen nothing but a bunch of hippos running over this landscape.

No comments: