Monday, August 4, 2008

Electricity Mali/Electricity Ivory Coast

While I was on my march through West Africa heading East, I should have stopped in Mali, however, I am compelled to combine Mali with Ivory Coast; because it looks like these 2 countries are hitched at the waist.
First, on the surface, it looks like Mali is producing enough electricity to me its needs, and then some, but then, you find Mali importing energy form Cote d’Ivoire. This is disturbing indeed. Do I detect gross lack of competency, or do I see people lining their own pockets.
You look at the numbers and it looks like there is enough electricity being generated in Mali, the caretakers of power distribution (Energie Du Mali) are talking about lack of transmission lines. I am sure there are proceeds from the supply of power to the general population, why can the transmission lines be extended. Our elders have a saying, or shall I say a proverb; how does one eat an elephant, "one Bite at a Time". With that in mind, how does one extend power supply from one place to the other, one Pole at a Time.
Here are a herd of Hippos if I ever saw one.

What about Cote d’Ivoire? Well, this is a mixed bag. Ivory Coast seem to be producing more electricity than what it needs, so it can afford to export the excess to Mali, Ghana, Togo, and Benin. But on the flip side, there is a large segment of Ivory Coast that is still in the dark not only at night, but also during the daytime.
Ivorian elite like to think of themselves as French, and at times they are more French than the French themselves. Gandhi said "Indians would NEVER be Independent until every citizen has housing and good sanitation". Well, no African country and for that matter Cote D’Ivoire will never be Independent, until every citizen gets education, stop chopping trees for fire wood, and stop using smoky kerosene lamps. From where I am sitting, I see nothing but Hippos running in the game reserve of Ivory Coast.

No comments: